Several people have asked me (including 1 veterinarian) if I an doing the surgeries myself. I am not sure what they imagine, some sort of makeshift surgical lair where I take the kitties to be altered.
Apple and Cole are still in the lair. When I picked her up from the clinic they mentioned that she was "a little feral." She was very difficult to get into the carrier and very vocal about not liking the car ride. She seems to be doing well. I pick Cole up everyday and pet him. He even purrs sometimes. I decided to release them on the same day so they can have each other to be with and commiserate about their misery in the lair.
When explaining to some people that I am spaying and neutering cats in my neighborhood, some of them say, "I prefer just letting nature handle it." Basically, they are saying if disease hits then it will naturally kill off the feral cats, thus managing the cat population. I assure you that disease does not naturally manage the feral/stray cat population. This is quite apparent because: A) if disease managed the pet population Bob Barker wouldn't have had to say "Remember have your pet spayed or neutered, B) I wouldn't have to do this project, and C) the cats that I am working with are exposed to diseases and they do die young (average life span of a homeless cat about 3 years), however they still have an opportunity to mate and populate before nature takes its course.
Cheddar Update: There have been a few glimpses of Cheddar in the barn. He continues to eat and use his litter box daily, plus he drops his dead mice right next to his food bowl. Uncle Billy is very satisfied with Cheddar's hunting skills!
No comments:
Post a Comment