9/1/10...Last entry from the past...
It was Tuesday evening which quickly became night. Spaying and neutering happens on Thursday mornings so I have picked Tuesday as the crucial day to trap cats in order to give me the secure feeling that I am prepared to take my catch in, give the cats a moment to calm in captivity, and also to give me a cushion day to trap cats on Wednesday night if I don't already have 2 on Tuesday. Now that you understand my train of thought and know that it was Tuesday, you know that I was hungry for the hunt and capture. With Jake and Kendall gone I had work to do. I had to mop the floor, wipe out the cages, wash the towels and bowls, clean out the litter boxes, wipe almost everything with bleach and then again with soapy water. Then I set the traps (one in Steve's backyard and one in the alley). I went back to the basement and set the cages (dog kennels) up for two new inhabitants. Then nothing.
I checked again at 9pm and 10pm. I was worried about leaving the traps out all night, but I really wanted to catch a cat. So at 6:45am I went to check the traps, excited thinking about what poor cat creature would be in the trap or possibly traps! I went to Steve's backyard first and the trap door was down but no cat. I think a cat/animal must have jumped on top of the trap and triggered it. I walked over to the one in the alley, there was no food in the trap, but also no cat. I hate that trap! A bit mad I was still determined to get a cat and it was still early in the day. I grabbed the good trap and ran down the street. I put it between two bushes by the corner house (where the cat colony lives), made some coffee, and set a chair on the sidewalk to watch. Jake came by looking like he was trying to warn others not to go near. I yelled at him to scram (thinking "these are my cats Jake and you better leave them alone!") Then I saw a black and white cat. It looked like he was going to go in when Jake showed up again! The two cats talked and I thought for sure my plan was ruined. Jake sat in the grass and watched the b/w cat sniff around. And then...the trap door slammed and the cat was trapped. I ran to put my sweatshirt on, the leather gloves, and grab a towel. When I got to the trap the cat was pissed! I covered the trap with the towel and carried him to the basement. I put food and water in the cage and then opened the door to the trap. The cat came out no problem, hissing and screaming. He looks young and his muzzle seems a bit broad for his face.

Did you give Mike a good hard brushing before his release? He had tuffs of hair everywhere. Alley Cat Mike. Hard core Mr. Man Mike.
ReplyDelete